MEDIA ADVISORY, June 19 /CNW/ — World Congress of Families Global Coordinator Larry Jacobs expressed “grave concern” over a recent resolution passed by the General Assembly of the Organization of American States (OAS) condemning perceived human rights violations based on so-called sexual orientation and gender identity.
The “Resolution on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation, and Gender Identity” (enacted at a June 3 session in Colombia) was sponsored by Brazil, whose president, Luis Lula, has stated publicly that he wants to criminalize dissent from the gay agenda (which he terms “homophobia”) and legalize gay marriage.
According to a Reuters story, members of the OAS met with 20 activists from homosexual groups prior to adopting the resolution. Pro-family organizations were not given an opportunity for input.
The nebulous resolution speaks of member states taking unspecified steps to end “violence and discrimination” based on sexual orientation and “gender-identity” (men who think they’re women and vice versa).
Jacobs asked: “Does anti-gay discrimination include laws limiting marriage to a man and a woman or limiting adoption to families with mothers and fathers? Would it require schools to affirm homosexuality and the other unhealthy perversions? Could it lead to ‘hate crimes laws’ and speech codes that criminalize dissent?”
Jacobs added: “Once again, a political institution has been co-opted by the international homosexual movement. Once again, a transnational organization has chosen to enlist with one side in the culture war, to the manifest displeasure of majorities in the nations they represent. Latin cultures, in particular, are noted for their traditional, pro-family orientation.”
World Congress of Families recently garnered the support of 110 pro-family leaders from 23 countries for a petition in support of Romania’s pending move to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.
For more information on World Congress of Families, go to www.worldcongress.org.
The World Congress of Families (WCF) is an international network of pro-family organizations, scholars, leaders and people of goodwill from more than 60 countries that seeks to restore the natural family as the fundamental social unit and the ‘seedbed’ of civil society. The WCF was founded in 1997 by Allan Carlson and is a project of The Howard Center for Family, Religion & Society in Rockford, Illinois (www.profam.org). To date, there have been four World Congresses of Families – Prague (1997), Geneva (1999), Mexico City (2004) and Warsaw, Poland (2007).
The Gay Rights King County Republican Party
In 2006 Lori Sotelo, then chair of the King County Platform Committee (Now chair of the KCGOP) led the fight to prevent the adoption for the King County Platform of the Natural Family Plank pioneered by the World Congres of Families, calling it “ANTI-GAY.” Then County Chair, Michael Young, entering debate though not a Committee member, argued long and articulately against it as well. Obviously holding forth on behalf of the Gay, Lesbian, bisexual and Transgendered “community” Young said we needn’t unduly alienate a group that might support us. Many of his appointments as Chair had been gay rights advocates and/or associated with Log Cabin Republicans.
You be the judge. Is the following “offensive” as Young and Sotelo claimed? :
The Natural Family
· We affirm that the natural family, not the individual, is the fundamental unit of society.
· We affirm the natural family to be the union of a man and a woman through marriage for the purposes of sharing love and joy, propagating children, providing their moral education, building a vital home economy, offering security in times of trouble, and binding the generations.
· We affirm that the natural family is a fixed aspect of the created order, one ingrained in human nature. Distinct family systems may grow weaker or stronger. However, the natural family cannot change into some new shape; nor can it be re-defined by eager social engineers.
· We affirm that the natural family is the ideal, optimal, true family system. While we acknowledge varied living situations caused by circumstance or dysfunction, all other “family forms” are incomplete or are fabrications of the state.
· We affirm the marital union to be the authentic sexual bond, the only one open to the natural and responsible creation of new life.
· We affirm the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death; each newly conceived person holds rights to live, to grow, to be born, and to share a home with its natural parents bound by marriage.
· We affirm that the natural family is prior to the state and that legitimate governments exist to shelter and encourage the natural family.